Recent Fire Damage Posts

Fire Safety Tips

4/8/2019 (Permalink)

A single flame can become a raging inferno in a matter of minutes. For this reason it is important for you and your family to be prepared. Fire prevention is key! Here are a few tips to help you stay safe.

  • Keep all fires and heaters well-guarded.
  • Keep portable heaters and candles away from furniture and curtains.
  • Don't dry or air clothes over or near the fire, or the cooker
  • Do not smoke in bed
  • Never leave a pan unattended
  • If there are children around, keep matches and lighters well out of reach
  • Fit approved smoke detectors on each floor.
  • Plan your escape route.

Remember Get out, stay out and call for HELP!

SERVPRO® of Allegan & Barry County (269-686-0664) is “Always here to help” 24/7! Faster to any disaster.

Choosing the Appropriate Fire Extinguish

4/2/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Choosing the Appropriate Fire Extinguish Fire Extinguishers

When purchasing fire extinguishers for your home there are a variety to choose from. In this posting I will be giving you a quick breakdown of 5 classes of extinguisher.

Class A: This is the most common extinguisher and can be used to put out fires in ordinary combustibles such as wood,cloth,rubber,paper and most plastics.

Class B: Used on fires involving flammable liquids like grease,oil, and gasoline.

Class C: Designed for fires involving appliances, tools or other equipment electrically energized or plugged in.

Class D: For use on flammable metals; often specific for the type of metal in question. These are typically found only in factories working with these metals.

Class K: Intended for use on fire is that involve vegetable oils, animal oils, or fats in cooking appliances. These extinguishers are generally found in commercial kitchens, but are becoming more popular in the residential market for used in kitchens.

For more information: www.nfpa.org

Fireplace safety

4/1/2019 (Permalink)

Fire places can be a warm and welcoming addition to a home but are also potentially dangerous when not used safely. Fire prevention is key! Here are a few tips to help you stay safe.

  • Keep all item away from open flame.
  • Don't dry or air clothes over or near the fire, or the cooker
  • Never leave a fire unattended
  • Have your chimney checked annually by a professional
  • Use dry and well-aged wood.Wet or green wood causes more smoke and contributes to soot buildup in the chimney.
  • Fit approved smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detector on each floor.
  • Plan your escape route.
  • keep a fire extinguisher on hand.

Remember Getout, stayoutand call for HELP!

Remember SERVPRO® of Allegan & Barry County (269-686-0664) is always here to help 24/7! Faster to any disaster.

Help is on the way!

11/29/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Help is on the way! What to do

What to do... 

Your home suffered a fire loss. The first responders came and went and your home is in shambles. A host of other problems now rest before you. Damage to the ceilings,walls,content,care pets and flooring. Trying to solve these problems on your own can be daunting. That is why you should call the professional at SERVPRO or Allegan and Barry County. The following are tips that may help reduce damage and increase the chance of a successful restoration.

  • Don’t attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your local SERVPRO of Allegan and Barry County. This attempt could set soot into the surface.
  • Limit  movement in the home to prevent soot from being embedded into soft upholstery and carpet.
  • If electricity is off empty the refrigerator and freezer completely and wipe clean to prevent odors.
  • Do not attempt to eat any food or beverage that may have been stored near the fire,heat or water.

Our Fire Damage Restoration Services

Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions.  We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage.  We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.

Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 
269-686-0664