Recent Commercial Posts
What are the Leading Causes of Fires?
Knowledge is one of the best tool against fire prevention. In this Blog we will be learning more about how and why fires start. Let’s begin by noting the leading causes of fire. They are as follows:
As you can see the top causes of fires are cooking, electrical, heating, smoking and candles. Many of these causes have the same prevention tips. For example you should leave any of the above listed event of items unattended. Also turning off items or unplugging them while they are not being used. When cooking don’t wear loose fitting clothing and keep flammable items away from the cook top. Like wise whenever you have an open flame or heat source ( candle,fireplace,space heater etc.) be sure there are not items nearby such as curtains or blankets. By taking small steps in your day to day life you can prevent a life changing disaster. If you would like to learn more visit nfpa.org.
Have Questions? Call our Office! 269-686-0664
Winter Weather Preparedness
Is Your Property Winter Ready?
Cold weather has arrived in West Michigan. Cold weather can have a huge impact on your property whether it’s a commercial property or residential. Heavy snowfall,sleet, and icy conditions can cause serious and expensive damage. Though you can not control West Michigan weather, you can take steps to be better prepared. Take these steps into consideration when protecting your property.
- Check for weak branches and limbs around your structure. Snow and or ice buildup can cause branches to fall which could cause potentially personal injury or damage to your property.
- Inspect entryways, handrails, and stairways leading to your business or home. Such areas can become treacherous in winter.
- Inspect walkways and parking lots for proper drainage.
- Protect water pipes from freezing by allowing a drip when temperature go below freezing.
- Inspect your roof line and watch out for ice dams!
- Ask your SERVPRO of Allegan and Barry County sales team member to complete and Emergency Ready Profile (ERP)
Have Questions? Call our Office! 269-686-0664
Building Safety Month!
May is Building Safety Month. Building safety month was created 39 years ago by the International Code Council. Building Safety Month is an great opportunity to educate people on what it takes to create a safe and efficient building/home. This can be done in a number of ways. You can better prepare your home or business for disaster by taking prevention and preparedness steps. It is important to have evacuation plans, safety tips for emergencies situations, and alarms.
You can find brochures on subjects like alarm safety,electricity,permits,appliances,yard and pool tips and so much more at www.iccsafe.org
For help restoring your residential or commercial space after a water,fire or mold loss ,call
SERVPRO of Allegan & Barry County at 269-686-0664.
Mold Safety Tips
Have you spotted mold in your business? If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Allegan & Barry County for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Allegan & Barry County specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 269-686-0664
Understanding the Nature of Smoke
Smoke has a behavior? Why yes it does. Smoke and soot are very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Allegan & Barry County will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 269-686-0664
Water Damage and Your Commercial Property
Flooding and water damage events at Allegan & Barry County commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Allegan & Barry County
SERVPRO of Allegan & Barry County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 –269-686-0664