Prepare to Protect
Prepare to Protect this September.
Every September is National Preparedness Month. Ready.gov comes up with a different theme each year to help prepare families and businesses. This year's theme is "Prepare to Protect. Preparing for disasters is protecting everyone you love." The following are weekly themes for your family to focus on:
Week 1: Make A Plan
Talk to your friends and family about how you will communicate before, during, and after a disaster.
Week 2: Build A Kit
Gather supplies that will last for several days after a disaster for everyone living in your home. Don't forget to consider the unique needs each person or pet may have in case you have to evacuate quickly.
Week 3: Low-Cost Prep
Limit the impacts that disasters have on you and your family. Know the risk of disasters in your area. Learn how to make your home stronger in the face of storms and other common hazards. Check your insurance coverage to make sure it is up-to-date.
Week 4: Teach The Youth
Talk to your kids about preparing for emergencies and what to do in case you are separated. Reassure them by providing information about how they can get involved.
If a disaster strikes your home in Martin, call SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties, 269-686-0664, we are Here to Help®
Plainwell Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Plainwell Home
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and Soot Facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke - wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke - Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke - Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue - Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today - 269-686-0664
Decluttering Your Office in Otsego, MI
Proactive COVID-19 cleaning, confirmed COVID-19 cleaning, we are Here to Help keep you and your employees safe.
It's Spring cleaning time! A clean environment is a healthy environment. Improve your workspace with a few tips to help you declutter your Otsego office:
- Divide your workspace into zones. Determine how you want and need to use the space and set up zones for your daily functions. This will provide a foundation for a more efficient use of space.
- Keep only what you need at arm's length. Boxes of pens, stacks of papers, and old coffee cups need to find a new home. Rid your desk of visual clutter.
- Create a daily system for organization. Consider creating hanging files or baskets.
- Sort through your catch-all "junk" drawer. Go through your drawers every six weeks and clear out anything that is out of place, out of date, or isn't being used.
- Eliminate digital clutter by organizing your work inbox. Keep icons on your desktop to a minimum.
SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties offer proactive cleanup for COVID-19 that involves facility or structure cleaning and disinfection. Call us at 269-686-0664, we are Here to Help!
Emergency Storm Damage Assistance in Saugatuck, MI
We are Here to Help after storm damage to your property.
Storm damage does not always strike during regular business hours. Did you know that SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties offers emergency service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year? We are Here to Help Saugatuck homeowners secure their property and start mitigation after an emergency event immediately.
SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties can provide temporary protective measures to prevent additional damage to your property after a disaster. If after a fire or flood your contents need to be removed from your affected property during the restoration process, SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties can pack your contents and move them to our warehouse for storage until the restoration process is complete. Once restoration is complete, your contents are returned to your property.
Has your home experienced damage from a recent storm? Call SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties to help, 269-686-0664
Rental Property Water Damage in Covert
Rental property owners, we are Here to Help when your rental property suffers water damage.
Many homeowners are transforming their former homes into rental properties after relocating to a different city. It is a great way to bring in extra income, but managing a rental from miles away can come with some challenges. This out-of-town landlord learned the hard way after their tenants in Covert packed up and moved out without letting them know. No power and no heat caused pipes to burst at every fixture leaving the landlord with a complete mess. The following are some tips to overcome physical distance.
- Choose Trustworthy Tenants - since you won't be able to get your rental quickly. It's extremely important that you trust your tenants. When renting to someone you don't know. Make sure to thoroughly screen their rental history before allowing them to move in. Make sure to have them complete a rental application, and contact their references.
- Have a Handle on Maintenance - if you are renting a detached home, you may want to hire someone to regularly attend to yard work and keep walkways and the driveway clear in the winter.
- Ask Someone to Check-in - since a house offers more privacy this can lead to more mischief. Enlist someone you know in the area to be your eyes. If there is a problem, this person can let you know immediately and even act as your property manager and check-in if needed.
- Make Friends With Repair People - maintenance, repairs, and other complaints all come to the landlord, when you are out-of-town you have to find other ways of dealing with these situations. A handyman, electrician, and plumber are good people to have in your contact list. If there is ever an issue that needs to be fixed immediately, you can call on them to get the job done and bill you later.
- Communicate Often - as a landlord, it is your responsibility to establish regular communication with your tenants via phone, email, or text and maintain the line of communication throughout their tenancy. Provide them with various contact methods, as well as additional contacts, and ask the same from them in case of an emergency.
- Get Insurance Coverage - the type and amount of insurance you need depends on the type of property you are renting. There is insurance for hazards, flood, theft, equipment breakdowns, lost rental income, and liability insurance for damages. Ask you tenant to get renters insurance to make sure their belongings are protected.
- If All Else Fails, Hire a Property Manager - managing a rental property from afar requires excellent time management, communication, and patience. Attending to your property can save you money, but it also costs you time. Hiring a property management company to oversee your rental may increase overhead, but it can also be the right thing to do if you are not interested in dealing with tenants, managing the property directly, or do not have the time to invest in caring for the property yourself.
If your rental property has experienced water damage, call SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties today, 269-686-0664. We are Here to Help!
Water Damage Emergency Tips for Your South Haven Home
First call SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties, then follow these water damage tips.
Pipe spraying out water, basement flooding, dishwasher overflowing? If you find yourself in one of these situations follow these tips after calling SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties:
- Shut off the water source if possible.
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks under furniture legs.
- Hang furs and leather goods separately at room temperature.
- Remove Oriental or other colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Do not use a regular vacuum to remove water.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of areas where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
- Do not leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpeting.
Follow these tips will help minimize or other damage to your South Haven home until help arrives.
Have you experienced water damage? Call SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties, 269-686-0664. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Workplace Fire Extinguisher Safety Tips
Make sure your employees know how to correctly use a fire extinguisher.
The most common emergency small businesses must plan for is a fire, according to OSHA. Fire extinguishers can be invaluable tools to help fight smaller fires in the workplace. It is important for employees to know how to use an extinguisher properly and also know how to accurately assess a fire situation.
The PASS method is a simple training technique for fire extinguishers:
- Pull the pin on the extinguisher
- Aim the hose nozzle low toward the base of the fire
- Squeeze the handle to release the extinguishing agent
- Sweep the nozzle from side to side at the base of the flames until extinguished
Fire extinguishers are meant to handle only small fires. If a fire becomes too large, or the environment becomes too dangerous, employees should know when and how to evacuate the area; and if appropriate, sound the fire alarm, or call the fire department immediately.
SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties is available 24/7 if your business incurs damage from a fire. Call us at 269-686-0664, we are Here to Help!
Understanding the Water Damage Timeline Saved this School in Martin, MI
This flooded office space was caused by a pipe break.
Water damage restoration requires some of the most in the restoration industry. This is due to the fact that water damage doesn't stop after things get wet. It can continue to cause increasingly worse damage the longer it's left without proper remediation.
A Few Minutes
- Water quickly spreads throughout the property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpet.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than A Week
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
This school in Martin, MI knew that time was of the essence after a pipe broke after hours and flooded an office area. Our crew was able to be on-site in under two hours of the initial call to start extracting water.
Call SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties to avoid worse damage to you property and belongings, 269-686-0664
Specially Formulated Cleaning Products
A higher standard of clean.
As your local mitigation, remediation, and restoration company, SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties carries a variety of professional cleaning products. We do not use the same cleaners that you can purchase in a store. SERVPRO® Industries have scientists on staff that formulate products that are designed exclusively for our franchise. You can be assured that the most effective products are being used to take care of your loss.
Our products are used to decontaminate, deodorize, clean leather and wood, general cleaning, and much more. Each of our products are labeled and specify proper cleaning use. For our customers comfort and knowledge, our technicians carry a Safety Data Sheet per product.
We ensure thorough cleaning is maintained throughout each job because we think of your property as our own.
SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties is available 24/7/365. We are a highly trained water, fire, mold, and biohazard restoration company with many services not typically covered by other restoration companies and our Professionals are trained in property mitigation, remediation, and restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's Corporate Training Facility, to regular IICRC industry certifications, our Professionals are equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Call SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties today for your cleaning, mitigation, and remediation needs, 269-686-0664
The First 24 Hours After Damage; How Critical Are They?
Act fast. The first 24 hours after fire or water damage are critical.
Water or fire losses, even smaller incidents, can result in costly claims over time. The longer smoke, soot, or moisture have to permeate contents and structural components, the more secondary damage can occur.
Experience has shown that quick, appropriate action delivered within the first 24 hours after damage can dramatically reduce secondary damage. Smoke and soot have less time to chemically interact and damage or destroy contents, and moisture is prevented from spreading and breaking down structural components or promoting the growth of mold and mildew.
Offering 24-hour emergency services, SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties is committed to responding to fire and water claims during the most critical time period following a loss, usually onsite in less than four hours.
The objective of critical response is to help return business owners' properties back to preloss condition while also controlling costs. SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties can provide the emergency service, mitigation, cleanup, and restoration experience and industry-specific technology to help you accomplish these goals.
Call SERVPRO of Allegan/Barry/Van Buren Counties today if you have experienced fire or water damage in your business, 269-686-0664